Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Blagojevich Blog (Day 1)

Today, former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich heads to “the clink” (Q:  Isn’t that web series?  A:  Yes it is http://www.theclink.net/) to begin his 14 year prison sentence.

As you may have forgotten, since we have fought about 17 wars since last June, Blagojevich was convicted on 17 counts of corruption, which included his attempt to sell Barack Obama’s Senate seat to the highest bidder (I checked eBay & craigslist…wasn’t on either). 

He’ll serve out his time in Colorado where the prison rape isn’t as painful, probably because of the altitude. 

He was quoted as saying, "This, as bad as it is, is part of a long and hard journey that will only get worse before it gets better.”

I’m not going to defend the guy.  But I will say this, there are people serving in government right now that have done FAR worse than Blagojevich.  He is the Martha Stewart of politicians.  One has to fall so many can get off unscathed. 

But 14 years!!!

14 years ago it was 1998

-Shakespeare in Love had yet to make Saving Private Ryan her bitch
-Craig Kilborn still hosted The Daily Show
-I had a full head of hair (true!)
-The Phillies still played in a urinal
-K-Ci & JoJo’s “All My Life” was the #1 song on the Billboard Charts.  You can down load it at iTunes, but at the time you couldn’t even get it from Napster.
-Average gas price per gallon on this day in 1998:  $1.20
-Michael Jordon still played for The Bulls (wins the NBA Finals on last second shot)
-TV is introduced to a fellow by the name of Aaron Sorkin as Sports Night premieres.
-My underwear had not yet hung in the Lourve. Steve Berger you know what I’m talkin’ about!
-A website called GOOGLE was launched
-Mark McGuire (70) & Sammy Sosa (66) break Roger Maris’s homerun record (61)
-The Coen Brothers released a film called The Big Lebowski, and my wife has had to tell me to stop quoting it ever since
-I hadn’t even MET my wife yet

A lot can happen in 14 years.  To that end, I’d like to offer a piece of advice to Mr. Blagojevich, taken from the pages of Avon Barksdale & Stringer Bell:

You only serve two days.  The day you go in and the day you get out

…although I guess all those days in the shower add up too.

No comments: