Monday, April 4, 2011

Science vs. Humor

When I was in high school, I won 2 awards. 1 was perfect attendance my senior year (they must not have counted/known about ditched classes) the other was for “academic excellence” in Environmental Science. I actually off set the curve in Environmental Science on the final exam. It would be the first and only time this Regan did that (I’m sure “Brainiac” Erick did it on a regular basis).

When I looked at colleges, I actually looked at a school (though I don’t remember which one) that had a great Marine Biology program. I could have been a great oceanic explorer like Jacques Cousteau or James Cameron. But instead I decided I wanted to be a film maker like…well, Jacques Cousteau or James Cameron actually.

I even took an Environmental Science at Temple to satisfy a science requirement I needed. I went to 3 classes all year. The first, the midterm & the final. I got an A. I even helped a fellow film student, who was also enrolled in the class, study for the final. I don’t know what she got.

So here I am. Oh so many years later, trying to make people laugh at AIDS jokes and perfectly timed fart humor. I’ve yet to figure out how to make any money doing this, and the world is falling apart, so it’s very possible I made the wrong decision. But wouldn’t be crazy if the 2 ended up being each other’s solutions?

Perhaps my idea of using the AIDS quilt to sop up all that oil in the Gulf isn’t such a bad idea after all.




No comments: