Thursday, May 11, 2017

Radio Ga Ga...

On April 8th, I wrote about the three iPods that I've owned.
You're welcome to read the (long) post here.

I've been iPod-less since a few days after returning from Florida on March 13th. This was coincidentally about the last time I had a drink. The music really is dead.

Because I have no iPod, I have limited choices. I can attempt to listen to music or podcasts on my phone (YouTube, Spotify, Soundcloud, Stitcher, etc). I say "attempt" because my phone is getting older and sometimes decides, "You're not listening to music on ME today!"

My other choice is to listen to the radio, which is quite frankly, a hellish nightmare.


Here are the 10 things I've notice about listening to the radio in Philadelphia in 2017:

1. 95.7 Ben FM is legally obligated to play Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" once an hour OR "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" twice an hour. I used to like both songs...okay, I still do!

2. 98.1 AKA Oldies 98 considers music from the 90s to be "oldies." Pearl Jam, really?!?

3. 90.9 NPR is a great way for me to start my day of hating Donald Trump...also, it's useful when I need to know the temperature in Manahawkin once an hour.

4. 88.5 WXPN has great music all day...unless there's a telethon, which there always is...especially now with Trump's proposed cuts to NPR.

5. Philly has more channels dedicated to Sports Talk then it has chance of any of it's sports teams making the playoffs.

6. 93.3 is a coolness measuring stick:

  • When you were younger you thought Preston & Steve were cool, but as you've grown older you realize, they are definitely not cool.
  • When you were younger you thought Pierre Robert was NOT cool, but as you've grown older you realize, he definitely IS cool.
  • When you were younger you never heard of Jacky Bam Bam, but as you've grown older you realize, there has never been anyone this cool.
7. 104.5 is still "old lady" music. Sorry Mom.

8. 101.1 should only ever play Christmas Music. That's right fuckers, deal with it in September!

9. 90.1 Temple's Jazz station is likely the soundtrack to which Bill Cosby attacks.

10. I NEED MY FUCKING iPOD BACK!





No comments: