So this past year, I thought it would be smart to come up with some goals. Actual, attainable goals. Here are fifteen of them and how I made out:
1. Learn to play guitar (specifically Auld Lang Syne) - I’m not sure what inspired this, maybe watching “When Harry Met Sally” one too many times? I own a guitar, so I got close to this one. I also tried to get people teach me how to play it, but alas, in this NEW world of DIY, I really need to just teach myself. The year isn’t over, so hopefully I can find the time over the next 2 months so I can rock out the traditional New Year’s Eve tune while Dick Clark counts backwards. I’m kidding! Dick Clark is totally dead!
2. Read Sherlock Holmes Books – I also should probably learn to write a complete sentence. But guys, I TOTALLY DID THIS!!! Not every book, but a huge number of them! And I love them. Since I read like 32 short stories and about 5 novels, I should count them as 15 books in my 15th goal.
3. Read the LOTR Trilogy (including The Hobbit) – Did it! That’s another 4 books friends & neighbors! (One of my goals should have been to cut down on exclamation points)
4. Shoot 2 new web series (The Gents & Social Calendar) – Yep…and by that I mean, nope. Yeah, I totally didn’t do either of these series. I wrote the “pilot” to Social Calendar and also HATE that title. I also wrote a second episode, but then stopped. I’d love to move ahead with this in 2013. As for The Gents, I still love the idea, but I think it was a funnier bit than the reality would be…maybe something to improv…
5 Write/shoot original short – I did do this. Kind of. Actually it was more of a sketch. Man, I really didn’t do much for filmmaking this year.
6 Write feature length script – um…
7. Write 3 one act plays – well…the year’s not over yet.
8. Write/shoot 3 sketches – OK I did this as stated above! And by this, I mean 1 out of 3 sketches. Also, I never edited it. Jeez.
9. Get more involved with Sketch & Stand Up comedy – I was more involved than in 2011, so that’s something.
10. Learn to drive stick shift – YES! Well…one out of 365 days. But I got the basics down.
11. Upload The League, The Clink and re launch The Cheap Seats to iTunes – Nope. But I have been uploading The Cheap Seats to Funny or Die, so that’s a start.
12. Incorporate – (must make business cards)
13. Web site that ALL my work is on – I am one step closer to this as I have most of the work Joel & I have shot over the past 10 years.
14. Blog 50 times – this is 47…I can hammer out 3 before 2013
15. Read 15 books – I think I actually did this. May not sound like much, but live my schedule and try to do it.
So what the hell did I do in 2012 that I couldn’t meet all of these goal? Well…let’s find out:
(next up: “How I spent my January or the Month Jim Burns finally saw The Big Lebowski”)