Tuesday, January 5, 2021

"Banished" Words of 2020


At the beginning of every year, Lake Superior University compiles a list of words they wish to be "banished," which had grown popular in the previous year.

Along with having never heard of Lake Superior University (sounds like a "back-up" school), there are some words on this list I have never heard before...well, at least one.

You can find the FULL listing here:

https://www.lssu.edu/traditions/banishedwords/

Many of the "Words That Should Not Be Named" are completely unrealistic, such as "COVID-19" or "coronavirus."

While I completely respect the sentiment here, there is just no way we could eliminate something that has had such an enormous impact on ALL of world history. Especially when we have yet to "eliminate" the disease itself (I mean, come on, wear the fucking mask!)

However, I can 100% get behind ridding the world of words such as "Rona," which seems like the laziest SLANG ever created. I mean COME ON, say the whole damn thing! We aren't going anywhere. We've got the time!

"Social Distancing" is another word (or phrase) on the chopping block. This I concur with, as it doesn't seem to capture the true spirit of what is necessary in these turbulent times:

People are so demonstratively stupid, it makes sense to eliminate this phrase for one that spells out completely what is necessary. Therefore saying something like, "Stand 6 feet away from each other, but since you all suck at simple mathematics, let's just say "six seats" away. Be it a seat at a concert, sporting event, or movie theater...none of which we are able to go to, because you fuckers don't know what 6 feet means (also, wear the fucking mask)!"
*Clearly this needs a "rona" like abbreviation.

The phrase "I know, right" should have been eliminated long ago, along with "I'm just saying," "I can't even," & "This" when none of them are accompanied with any other independent thought. Probably, even if they are.

"Karen" can stay. At least for another year. I know some amazing Karens and not one of them is represented by the stereotypical "Karen," but I'd imagine most of them are all for the sentiment. As the male equivalent, "Kevin," I also have no problem with this sticking around.
(*But let's be honest, "Kevin" should be replaced with "Grant" or "Tyler" or something like that, but whateves...)

"Whateves" isn't on the list, but should be.

And finally, "Sus." I have never heard this before. In fact, I thought it was a typo and they meant "Cis." But apparently, this hip dude was not aware of the word "Sus," which is an abbreviation of the word "Suspect." I can think of one, "about to be unseated Presidential Administration" that might be interested in getting rid of this word.

My personal belief is that we should be working less toward eliminating words, and more towards getting people to read the entirety of articles filled with them as opposed to merely headlines, but whateves...

Also, wear the fucking mask!


No comments: